The Crown fits so I wear it.

My other blog is here.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

* December 2, 2010, San Miguel de Allenda, Mexico

It's 9:40 am.  I've completed my banking transactions and am sitting comfortably in my favorite restaurant on the jardin.  It's still chilly out.  Locals are bundled in shawls with scarves over their mouths.  I wear a sleeveless tank with linen blouse and find the air refreshing.  The sun is bright and inside the restaurant it's warm and full of quiet chatter.  The town is still snoozing.  Stores are not open, street vendors have not made their appearance and the jardin is to cold and uninviting for visitors to linger on it's benches.  From my seat I observe centro's stretching and awakening.  Second floor balconies are being swept and streets dusted off to prepare for the bustle of later.

Maria cleans my house as I enjoy breakfast.  She is an attractive woman in her 50's, black hair, sparkling eyes and a quick smile.  I tend to think she does not work for the need of money.  Perhaps for other more interesting reasons.  Her outward appearance is one of confidence, she carries herself beautifully and dresses well.  Her car is silver grey, new and shining.

The shoe shine men carry their chairs into the jardin.  Perhaps an early customer will reveal themselves if they are present and ready.

It's December 2nd.  A surprise to me most of the time.  The year has faded into a vague blur and as I sit here in review of my adventures it's a little daunting.  It seems to me, at least at this moment, a year of extremes when I have felt very happy and at peace and suddenly, WHAM!  A huge sorpressa hits me from behind.

I'm creating my little dream casita from scratch.  Such a wonderful exciting esperience.  I'm studying art with an accomplished teacher.  This was one of my goals.  I've been embraced by the community and never lack for things to do or placed to go.  San Miguel itself exudes culture of all kinds.  It's difficult to know which pool to dip ones toe into next.  It's 'easy' to be here.  People are helpful.  Service still exists and is very much alive and well.  Still a deep part of the culture.

My lack of the Spanish language is beginning to frustrate me.  Next year I must begin to learn.

The sun shines through my street side window and it's beginning to feel to hot.  I'm longing to feel the Mexican sun directly on my skin.  It's still too cool to ask for the window to be opened.  The locals in the restaurant would be cold.   Magnificent star shaped white and silver wedding pinatas walk by on a pole.

So, I have found some peace and happiness this year in my new home.  As I reflect back, the number of large blows I have taken this year surprises me.  I find myself still standing.  During construction, my house was broken into and robbed.  I've been physically locked out of my home when the previous owner protested his non payment by the real estate agent.  I've been conned and lost a substantial amount of money.  A very dear friend disappeared from my life.  Most recently I have been informed I require a knee replacement.  Discontinuing a heavy prescription drug has thrown me into a temporary state of ill health.  Last but not least, my architect has run out of money and work on this project has slowed to a crawl.  I'm frustrated.  I still feel strong, grounded and in pretty good balance.  I feel more 'me' than I ever have in this lifetime.  More important, I have grown.  I am celebrating my own company and enjoying being with me.  I am loving flying solo.  I enjoy doing things, almost anything, with me.  Sitting here in this restaurant feels ever so wonderful.  Best yet?  I know there is more.  I am absolutely aware at some deep level, the best is yet to be. 

3 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

It sounds very beautiful there where you are, when I read your words I can really imagine it! Hugs, Valerie

Annie Z said...

I really enjoyed reading this summary of your life this year, Donna. After not being around much lately, it was a wonderful depiction of what has gone on for you, both the good and bad.

I'm going to browse through now to find more pictures of your home!!

Unknown said...

Thank you both so very much for coming to Fragments. NMO40 --- so great to be in touch again.