The Crown fits so I wear it.

My other blog is here.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

* August 29, 2001

I miss you today, Mamma.  We had such great news from the Dr. about Papa.  His cancer is sooo much better.  His PSA (tumor marker) is down from 176 to 4.6.  Dr. has taken him off the experimental hormone shots for 9 months and does not want to see him again until next August.  Isn't that just great news?

Papa misses you Mamma.  Sometimes in the night I have to go in and settle him.  Just lie in your bed and be with him.  He wakes up and thinks you are still there  -  still in your bed - still with him.  It's a shock for both of us when we suddenly realize you are no longer with us.  You are with others who love you.

Rissie and I go in and sleep in your bed when he is so upset.  It calms him and he is usually able to sleep again.  If not, we get up and have tea. We are all the better for it.  Rissie lies on his bed with him a lot and he loves that.  He said he's never really had an indoor dog who he has gotten to 'know' before.  He thinks she's 'real smart'.  She is!

I thought of you today when I watered your flowers.  The outside hanging baskets are so full and abundant.  Dad's tomatoes are very tasty to eat and gorgeous to look at.  We pick them daily and enjoy.

We have picked lots of apples lately.  Papa has a bicycle basket strapped to the front of his walker.  He pulls the high branches down with his cane and I pick them.  It doesn't take long to fill the basket!  We picked two baskets full today.  I washed and cut them ready for the freezer.  Papa sits in his chair at the table and we chat.  He says he likes to watch me work.  I am efficient.

 We now have twelve bags of apples in the freezer.  (I don't think Papa's going to 'the home' any time soon Mamma! ha ha)  He looks about 10 years younger since we had the good news about the cancer.  We had lunch at Carters.  The owner asked about you.

I love you Mamma.  Thanks for the hug in the night.  I felt wrapped in your love.  Love Donna xx

Journal entry, August 29, 2001, Ardrossan, Alberta, Canada

No comments: