The Crown fits so I wear it.

My other blog is here.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"You Forgot Your Hat"

“You Forgot Your Hat” painting and poem by Donna Parker
January 27th, 2015, San Miguel de Allende


Alas!
So like you —
Suddenly, unexpectedly,
Shocking and shaking me
To the very core of my existence,
You left.
Not for a weekend
Or an extended getaway
Permanently!
Forever!
No warning
No good byes
No last words of wisdom
No kiss on the cheek -
You simply dropped dead!
Just like that.

You left me breathless
Where did the oxygen go?
Why was everything stuck in my throat?

You told me we had a sacred contract
I agreed
Was it really for only two years?
I didn’t read the fine print.

I will miss our conversations
About art, about spirit, about life
About our little secrets.
I will miss our energy
joined in the studio
painting, enjoying music, chatting,
dancing, laughing.

We loved each other
In the best possible way -
As friends - honouring
All the good bits
All the bad bits
All the in-between bits -

I know you are very close by
We have already spoken through
The oh so thin veil
A privilege I cherish.

I remember the first breakfast
Just the two of us
You bought two of my paintings
Asked me to paint with you in
Your studio.

When I left that day
You went back to the library
to get a book
It was Paulo Coelho’s,”The Alchemist”
I had read it years before
“Read it, Donna. It will tell you
everything you need to know”
I knew then our relationship
was much more than earthly.

Then just as suddenly
You were gone
quickly - quietly - forever.
Knowing you has changed
me Toller.
Oh!  … and Toller …
You Forgot Your Hat. 



"You Forgot Your Hat" oil on canvas by Donna Parker  Sold

No comments: